The organization and growth of Fairview Cemetery is quite easy to view from the ground, if one knows how to look at the landscape. The cemetery can be divided into six sections, largely separated by the various pathways through the grounds. There are two entrances, the north or main entrance is from Route 82, and the west or original entrance on Ryder Road. Entering from Route 82, the visitor is greeted by the cemetery's sign. This leads one on a straight north-south pathway between two sections that are relatively new. The Northeast section (to the left) was opened in the early to mid-20th century, and still accepts burials today. The Northwest section (to the right) is somewhat older, and contains burials from approximately 1900 to the mid-20th century. As one approaches the central flagpole and bench area, one sees most of the other sections. Ahead and to the left, the hill area is the oldest portion of the cemetery, with burials from the early 1800s to just after the turn of the 20th century. A pathway curves completely around the hill. This Gothic Revival sandstone structure, originally used to store those awaiting burial, was designed by Daniel Tilden, and built in 1873 by Gehrung & Albrecht. Tilden, whose family settled in Hiram in the early 1800s, also designed a similar vault in the Garrettsville Cemetery during the same period. He went on to become a prominent architect in Canton, in the Richardsonian mold. The Gothic Revival style veers sharply from the Neoclassical tradition so prominent elsewhere in the cemetery. There are very few gravestones with Gothic arches, and the structure dates to the period when Fairview was being reinvented to conform to design ideals popular in the Rural Cemetery Movement. To the right, and towards the Ryder Road entrance, is the Western section, which begins on the slope of the hill at the vault, or charnel house, and proceeds to the fenceline. This area was the first extension of the cemetery, dating from the 1870s to the early part of the 20th century. South of the hill, the vault, and the southern pathway is the South section, which was also opened in the late 1800s, but has monuments dating to the late 20th century as well. This photo looks to the west, and Ryder Road The newest part of Fairview, the Eastern section, lies to the left of the hill from the flagpole area. It was opened in the 1970s and continues in active use today. This photo is taken from the eastern side of the hill.