Fairview Cemetery, as seen from the perspective of its grave markers, conforms to more widespread trends in American popular taste and style through the 19th and 20th centuries, but differs in significant ways as well. Located in a small village historically dominated by a single Protestant denomination, the Disciples of Christ, without either substantial ethnic diversity or major distinctions in wealth, the cemetery possesses a smaller range of marker styles than most others for any given period of time. Marble gravestone of Mason Tilden (1859) Markers tend to be less ornate and smaller, especially for the 19th century, than those in cemeteries in surrounding communities such as Burton and Garrettsville (larger villages), or even Mantua Center and Nelson (hamlets). One vault, or charnel house, and one small mausoleum, built in vernacular style complete the inventory of structures on site. Almost no gravestones from the earliest or Sandstone Era, remain. Marble monuments from the mid-19th century lack stylistic motifs common elsewhere, and larger markers such as obelisks and columns are relatively few in number. The most striking and stylistically diverse periods are in the decades around 1900 when granite came into fashion, and the late 10th century with the advent of laser etching and other technological innovations allowing for greater individuality at modest prices.